This chocolate sour cherry pie is a delicious version of the traditional sour cherry pie taste enriched with deep chocolate flavor. Surprise your loved ones with this delicious treat that is so simple and easy to prepare and still really yummy! Here is the recipe:
Servings 1 (9-inch) pie
For the crust:
- pate brisee/ pie dough/ shortcrust pastry (homemade or store-bought)
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
- All-purpose flour, for surface
- 1 egg plus 2 tablespoons milk (lightly beaten), for egg wash
For the filling:
- 1 ¾ pounds/790 grams’ fresh tart cherries (sour cherries) or you can use 2 ½ pounds/1 kg/1000 grams frozen cherries (drained and thawed), pitted
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
To make the filling:
- Preheat oven to 375°F/ 190°C/Gas Mark 5. In a bowl, toss together the sugar, cherries, vanilla, and cornstarch.
To make the crust:
- On a lightly floured surface, apply 1 disk pie dough then sprinkle 3 tablespoons of the cocoa powder; knead the dough a little bit to incorporate the cocoa; then, roll out one disk pie dough a 1/8-in. thickness. Fit it into a 9-inch pie plate. Next, pour in the cherry mixture; dot with butter. Place in the fridge to set.
- In the meantime, on a lightly floured surface, apply the remaining disk pie dough and sprinkle the remaining 3 tablespoons of the cocoa powder; knead the dough a little bit to incorporate the cocoa; roll the disk of pie dough to a 1/8-in. thickness. Make 4 – 5 holes using a 3/4-in. pastry tip or round cookie cutter. Arrange on top of the pie.
- Then, using kitchen shears, trim bottom, top crusts to a one-inch overhang and press together in order to seal around edges; crimp as desired. Place in the freezer for 20 minutes to set.
- Then, remove and brush crust with egg wash. Place in the oven and bake the pie on the middle rack (on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet) until the crust is golden and the pie is bubbling in center, 90 to 110 minutes. Transfer pie to a wire rack and allow to cool before serving. Slice and serve.