- 225 g/8 oz. /1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 25 g/1 oz. / ¼ cup icing/confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 150 ml/ ¼ pint/ 2/3 cup strong brewed coffee, chilled
- 300 ml/ ½ pint/1 ¼ cups double/heavy cream
- 3 tbsps. coffee liqueur
- 125 g/4 oz. Savoiardi or sponge fingers/ladyfingers
- 50 g/2 oz. dark/bittersweet dark chocolate, grated or made into small curls
- unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
- assorted summer berries, to serve
Lightly oil and line a 900 g/2 lb. loaf tin/pan with a piece of plastic wrap.
Put the mascarpone and icing/confectioners· sugar into a large bowl and, using a metal spoon or rubber spatula, beat until smooth. Stir in 2 tablespoons chilled coffee and mix thoroughly.
Whip the cream with 1 tablespoon of the coffee liqueur until just thickened. Stir a spoonful of the whipped cream into the mascarpone mixture, then fold in the rest. Spoon half of the mascarpone mixture into the prepared loaf tin and smooth the top.
Put the remaining coffee and coffee liqueur into a shallow dish just bigger than the sponge fingers/ladyfingers. Using half of them, dip one side of each sponge finger into the coffee mixture, then arrange on top of the mascarpone mixture in a single layer. Spoon the rest of the mascarpone mixture over the sponge fingers and smooth the top. Dip the remaining sponge fingers in the coffee mixture and arrange on top of the mascarpone mixture.
Drizzle with any remaining coffee mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
Carefully turn the tiramisu out onto a large serving plate. Sprinkle with the grated chocolate or chocolate curls. Dust with cocoa powder, cut into slices and serve with a few summer berries.