These tiramisu cupcakes are so easy and simple to prepare that you will love it! Rich, creamy, and Italian – what can be better – the taste of tiramisu is ideal for all coffee lovers. Just delicious! Here is the recipe:
For the cupcakes:
- 1 ¼ cups sifted cake flour
- A pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces (at room temperature)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 whole eggs + 3 egg yolks (room temperature)
For the syrup:
- 1-ounce marsala wine
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon espresso (or other strong coffee), freshly brewed
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
For the frosting:
- 8 ounces’ mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- cocoa powder (unsweetened), for dusting
- Preheat oven to 325°F/ 160°C/ Gas Mark 3. Use paper liners to line standard muffin tins. Combine together cake flour, salt, and baking powder.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk and vanilla extract just until bubbles appear around the edge. Then, remove and whisk in butter just until melted. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat together sugar, whole eggs, and yolks. Over a pan of simmering water, set mixing and whisk by hand just until sugar is dissolved around 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat until mixture is pale yellow, fluffy, and thick enough to hold a ribbon on the surface for a few seconds when the whisk is lifted.
- Next, apply flour batter into the egg batter in 3 batches; stir 1/2 cup mixture into the milk mixture to thicken, after that fold milk mixes into the remaining batter until incorporated.
- Spread batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each 3/4 full. Place in the oven and bake, turning tins halfway through, till edges are light golden brown and centers are entirely set, around 20 minutes. Then, transfer to wire racks so they can cool completely before removing cupcakes.
- In the meantime, make the syrup. Stir together marsala, sugar, and coffee until sugar is dissolved. Allow cooling.
- Brush top of each cupcake evenly with marsala- coffee syrup – and repeat until all syrup has been used. Let cupcakes absorb liquid for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the mascarpone frosting. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat heavy cream until stiff peaks form (take heed not to overbeat, or cream will be gritty).
- In a separate bowl, beat together mascarpone and confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Gradually fold whipped cream into mascarpone mixture until combined. Use immediately.
- Finally, dollop frosting onto each cupcake; refrigerate up to overnight in airtight containers. Just before serving, dust generously with cocoa powder.