- 4 x 175 g/6 oz. salmon fillets
- 3-4 tbsp. plain/all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp dried mustard powder
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 shallots. peeled and chopped
- 225 g/8 oz./1 cup Arborio/risotto rice
- 150 ml/ ¼ pint/ 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 4 liters/2 ½ pints/6 1/3 cups vegetable or fish stock
- 50 g/2 oz./4 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. freshly snipped chives
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped dill
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- knob/pat butter
- lemon slices
- fresh dill sprigs
- tomato salad. to serve
Wipe the salmon fillets with a clean. damp cloth. Mix together the flour, mustard powder and seasoning on a large plate and use to coat the salmon fillets and reserve.
Heat half the olive oil in a large frying pan and fry the shallots for 5 minutes until softened but not colored. Add the rice and stir for 1 minute, then slowly add the wine. bring to the boil and boil rapidly until reduced by half.
Bring the stock to a gentle simmer. then add to the rice. a ladleful at a time. Cook. stirring frequently, until all the stock has been added and the rice is cooked but still retains a bite. Stir in the butter and freshly chopped herbs and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Heat the remaining olive oil and the knob of butter in a large griddle pan/ridged grill pan. add the salmon fillets and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until cooked. Arrange the herb risotto on warmed serving plates and top with the salmon. Garnish with slices of lemon and sprigs of dill and serve immediately with a tomato salad.