Halloween is a fun and exciting holiday, especially for the kids. Markets are full of masks, party decorations, scary fun accessories, and other stuff that can get our attention in the spirit of Halloween. However, it feels like we’ve seen it all!
So, instead of buying unnecessary things why don’t we spend some time in the kitchen and celebrate the holiday with these beautiful and delicious cookies that everybody loves! Simple and easy – ideal for beginners! Here is the recipe:
Servings 2 dozen
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon powdered cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- For the frosting:
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 4-6 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup shortening
- Green, yellow, black, white, and orange paste organic food coloring (optional)
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on low speed beat sugar and butter until light and blended. Add in vanilla and egg.
- In another bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon; gradually fold into creamed batter. Shape dough into 2 portions; then, shape each portion of dough into a disk and wrap in plastic. Place in the fridge for 1 hour or just until firm enough to roll.
- In the meantime, preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Lightly flour a clean surface and roll each dough portion to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Next, cut with floured cookie cutters (preferably Halloween-shaped). Arrange 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
- Place in the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges get light brown color. Carefully remove from pans to wire racks in order to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, beat shortening, confectioners’ sugar, and enough water so the mixture can reach spreading consistency. Then, tint frosting – decorate as desired. Allow sitting until set.