This rich and creamy Limoncello cheesecake has a refreshing, zesty lemon flavor and is an ideal after dinner dessert. The recipe is so easy to make, though you will probably need around 1 hour to prepare it. Here is the recipe:
For the sponge:
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ oz. (40 grams) caster sugar
- Finely grated zest from 1 lemon
- 1 oz. (25 grams) plain flour
For the cheesecake:
- 13 ½ oz. (400 grams) white chocolate
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 9 ½ oz. (275 grams) ricotta cheese, at room temperature
- 5 tablespoons (75 ml) Limoncello liqueur
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) icing sugar
- Lemon rind (optional)
- yellow gel food color (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C/ Gas Mark 5. Now, make the base. Grease and line a 7-inch (18 cm) square cake tin. Beat the sugar, egg, and lemon zest together until thick and pale (around 3 minutes).
- Sieve the flour on top and fold in smoothly using a metal spoon (ensuring not to knock the air out of the batter).
- Apply into the prepared cake tin, and bake in the oven for around 10minutes, or until risen, lightly golden and spongy to the touch. Let cool for a few minutes and then turn (very carefully) onto a wire rack. Then, slowly remove the baking paper and allow to cool completely.
- Next, line a deep loaf tin with cling film. Smooth out nicely. Trim the sponge to fit snugly into the bottom of the loaf tin. Leave aside.
- Then, make the layers. Melt 3 ½ oz. (100 grams) white chocolate into a double-boiler. Remove and immediately stir in 3 oz. (75 grams) ricotta and the vanilla extract into the melted white chocolate – the mix will thicken rapidly – and combine until well incorporated. Apply on top of the sponge and spread out evenly (tap the tin on the working surface in order to make sure the cream settles evenly. Place in the fridge for around 30 minutes until set.
- In the meantime, melt the remaining chocolate as above (into a double-boiler).
- In a mixing bowl, add the ricotta cheese and apply in the Limoncello and yellow food color gel (if using) to make a lemony color –. Whisk until well combined then add the melted chocolate and beat well again until incorporated.
- Place over the white chocolate layer and spread evenly. Put in the fridge and chill for about 2-3 hours or until firm.
- Before serving, dust some icing sugar and garnish with lemon rind, slice and enjoy!