If you like to prepare the best seafood and impress your family, friends, and yourself – first and foremost – then you got to try this traditional Italian recipe of cooking fish. This lightly buttered and fried fish is very easy and quick to make. Here is the recipe:
- 18 large raw prawns
- 225 grams/8 oz. cleaned baby squid
- 6 red snapper fillets
- Light olive oil, for deep-frying
- Lemon wedges, to serve
For the batter:
- 175 grams/6 oz. plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 225 m/8 fl cold water
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- To make the batter, sift the flour into a mixing bowl. Season the flour to taste with salt and pepper and make a well in the center. Break the eggs into the well and add the water. Gradually beat the eggs and water into the flour to form a smooth batter.
- Shell and devein the prawns. Cut the squid into tentacles and rings and cut the red snapper into small squares.
- Heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer or a large heavy-based saucepan to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4, or until a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds. Dip the seafood in the batter and wipe off any excess. Add to the hot oil, in small batches, and cook 2-3 minutes, or until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon, then drain on kitchen paper and keep warm while you cook the remaining seafood.
- Pile onto warmed plates and season to taste with salt, then serve with lemon wedges.