Key lime pie is a classic spring-summer dessert and one of the most refreshing treats that you can try! And this key lime pie with almond-chocolate crust is a real perfection! Simple, easy, and delicious! Here is the recipe:
For the crust:
- 7 tablespoons unsalted melted butter, plus more for greasing
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup finely ground almonds
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
For the filling:
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 ½ teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- 2 cans (14-ounce) sweetened condensed milk
- 3 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- Whipping topping
- Key lime slices, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C; butter a standard pie pan. Set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse together the chocolate chips, sugar, and the ground almonds until blended. Apply the melted butter then pulse until the mixture is moistened.
- Press the butter evenly over the bottom and up the side of the pan to form the crust. Place in the oven and bake for around 17-20 minutes, just until lightly browned. Remove and allow the crust to cool at room temperature. (Do not turn off the oven at this point).
- In the meantime, prepare the filling: in a mixing bowl, whisk together the lime zest, lime juice, eggs, and condensed milk until well incorporated. Pour the filling into the chilled crust and place in the oven again. Bake for 20 more minutes, until slightly jiggly in the middle but set around the edges.
- Remove and allow to cool at room temperature for 25 minutes; after that refrigerate until very firm, at least 5-6 hours or ideally overnight. Before serving, decorate with whipped topping and key lice slices (is desired).