These Italian marinated clams (or vongole veraci marinate) will bring the smell of the sea in your kitchen! This dish always reminds me on the Mediterranean Sea, on Sorento. My nonna Angela used to make these delicious clams every time on the first and the last summer day – to celebrate the season! Here is the recipe:
- 1 kg/2 lb 4 oz. fresh clams
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 90 ml/8 fl oz. dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Scrub the clam shells. Soak them in cold water for 1 hour, changing the water several times. Discard any clams that have open shells. Peel the onion and garlic and finely dice.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and garlic and sauté until translucent. Deglaze the pan with the wine and bring to the boil. Add the clams, cover and cook over a high heat for 3-4 minutes, shaking the pan several times.
- Remove the clams from the pan with a slotted spoon, discarding any that have not opened and place in a bowl. Stir in the parsley, lemon juice, and remaining olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Marinate for 30 minutes, then serve.