These Italian lemon blueberry cupcakes are so cute, beautiful, zesty, and very delicious! They have a unique taste and the frosting makes them so rich and creamy! Ideal for birthdays and other spring-summer parties and special occasions! You will need just 25 minutes to prepare them and around 20 minutes to cook. Here is the recipe:
Servings 16 cupcakes
For the Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes:
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour (plus 2 tablespoons)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (freshly squeezed), divided
- ¾ cup blueberries (fresh or frozen) – if you use frozen don’t thaw first
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, finely grated
For the Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting:
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 8-ounce (1 box) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- ¼ teaspoon lemon extract (optional)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, freshly grated (optional)
- ½ cup fresh blueberries (optional)
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350°F/ 180°C/ Gas Mark 4. Use paper liners to line a 12 cup cupcake tin; set aside.
- In a bowl combine 1 3/4 cups flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
- Next, in a separate bowl, combine the milk, sour cream, and 2 tablespoons lemon juice; beat well to incorporate and leave aside.
- Apply blueberries and lemon juice in a small bowl; toss to coat the berries; place the remaining flour; toss to coat the berries in it; leave aside.
- Using an electric mixer, on medium speed, whisk the butter until creamy and smooth, around 30 seconds. Beat in the sugar and lemon extract (if you use) and whisk until well incorporated.
- Whisk in the egg and egg yolk and combine well. Decrease the speed to low, and apply ½ of the flour mix and whisk until just combined. Next, add ½ sour cream and beat until just combined. Repeat the procedure with the remaining flour mix and sour cream mix (whisking on low till just combined – around 5 sec.)
- Add the lemon zest and floured blueberries with a rubber spatula. Combine.
- Spread the batter into the prepared cupcake cups (filling ¾ of each cup).
- Put in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a tester inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Let them cool in the baking dish for a few minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack so they can cool completely. In the meantime, prepare the frosting.
To make the lemon cream cheese frosting:
- Using an electric mixer, on medium speed, whisk the cream cheese and butter until creamy and smooth.
- Reduce the speed to low and slowly beat in the lemon juice and powdered sugar, whisking until light and fluffy, around 2 minutes. Pour in the vanilla extract, lemon zest, and lemon extract (if using); combine shortly.
- If the consistency seems to be too thick, apply a teaspoon of heavy cream or milk, but just if necessary. The lemon cheese cream frosting should be smooth and spreadable, but also thick to hold its shape. Spread or pipe the frosting on top of the cupcakes.
- Top each cupcake with lemon zest and some fresh blueberries (if desired). Serve.