The right combination of chocolate and lemon can make heavenly good dessert – and the wrong one can be a real disaster! So, having the right ingredients and the love of chocolate and citrus will lead you to an amazing dessert experience that will last in your mouth! Try this unique and simple recipe:
For the chocolate mousse:
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 7 ounces high-quality dark chocolate (72% +), finely chopped
- 1-ounces high-quality milk chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Grand Marnier Cordon Rouge, an orange-flavored liqueur (you may replace the alcohol with ½ cup water for children and non-drinkers)
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
For the lemon sauce:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- A pinch of salt
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoon butter (cold, cut into small pieces)
To make the mousse:
- Beat the sugar and eggs together in a heat safe bowl until you get a light mixture. Place over a double boiler. Whip until slightly thickened.
- Next, pour the Grand Marnier liqueur (or water) and continue to beat over the simmering water until the blend hits approximately 160°F/ 70°C and coats the back of a spoon.
- Then, remove from heat. Put the chopped dark and milk chocolates and stir until the arm cramps or the mix becomes cool to the touch, either come 1st (approximately 10 minutes).
- Leave the chocolate aside and whisk the heavy cream to soft peaks. Fold it into the chocolate, combine and cover. Place this mixture in the fridge and chill for about 4 hours.
To make the lemon sauce:
- To prepare the lemon sauce, combine cornstarch, sugar, and salt in a saucepan. Pour the boiling water and mix to combine.
- Then, apply the pan over medium heat; cook until mixture is clear and thick – stirring constantly.
- Next, stir the lemon juice and zest into the sauce.
- Add the butter into the sauce, whisking a little at a time so the butter can melt. Once the mixture is smooth and well incorporated, remove. Your lemon sauce is ready to be served!
- Before serving, remove the mousse from the refrigerator and apply a few mousse bowls on a serving dish (nicely taking out from the bowl with a spoon) or simply apply in demitasse cups with a dollop of whipped cream (optional). Pour some lemon sauce over (or apply next to) the dessert.