These watermelon bars are so creamy and refreshing! You can use watermelon leftovers to make this amazingly tasty and unique sweet treat. Plus, it is very easy and quick to prepare – it took my just 19 minutes to make it and 20 minutes to bake.
Simply perfect for all summer birthdays and parties! Along with a nice glass of Margarita cocktail…mmm, delicious! Here is the recipe:
- 12 oz. ground vanilla wafers
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 5 cups watermelon juice (freshly prepared or store-bought)
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup 2% milk
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 envelope powdered gelatin
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar (optional)
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4. Use a foil to line a 13×9-inch baking dish, leaving a 2-in. the overhang on the long sides of the dish. Spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a blender or food processor, finely ground the vanilla wafers.
- In a bowl, combine the melted butter with the grounded vanilla wafers. Then, pour 2 tablespoons water and combine again. Press evenly onto the bottom of the prepared pan to create a crust. Put in the oven and bake for 20 minutes; remove and allow to cool.
- In the meantime, you can make the watermelon juice.
- Use a juicer if you own one to make watermelon juice, or simply apply the watermelon cubes in a food processor or blender and mix until smooth. Use a strainer to strain into a bowl.
- Then, in a small bowl, set aside two cups of the watermelon juice.
- Next, in a large mixing bowl, whisk the remaining three cups watermelon juice along with the milk, sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest until well incorporated.
- Sprinkle the gelatin powder over the reserved two cups watermelon juice. Let sit for 2 minutes to set. After that, heat the gelatin and watermelon mix in a microwave on high for 2 minutes, or place in a small saucepan and heat gently on low heat until the gelatin has entirely melted into the watermelon juice and you get a nice, smooth liquid.
- Then, transfer this mixture into the large bowl (with watermelon juice, milk, sugar and lime mixture) and stir to combine.
- Spread the mixture over the crust from and refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- Keep in the fridge until ready to serve. Cut the watermelon bars into squares, before serving. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar or apply a dollop of whipped cream on each bar (if desired).