This chocolate French silk pie is one of the most delicious quick dessert recipes I ever made! I really love French silk pies in many shapes and combinations. Easy, chocolaty, and silky – perfect treat!
For the crust:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup shortening
- A pinch of salt
- very cold water
For the filling:
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 ounces dark chocolate (72% +), melted and cooled slightly
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder (optional, but I really recommend it because it intensifies the chocolate color and flavor)
- 1/4 teaspoon instant espresso powder (optional, but intensifies the flavor of chocolate)
- 5 eggs
- whipped cream for topping
- chocolate shavings or curls
To make the crust:
- Preheat oven to 400ºF/200ºC/ Gas Mark 4. Cut shortening into the flour and salt with a pastry cutter to the consistency of coarse meal.
- Add very cold water (preferably ice water) 1 tablespoon at a time while stirring gently until the dough begins to form into a ball.
- Gently roll out the crust and put it in a pie plate. Crimp edges as desired. Dock the dough by piercing with a fork a few times around the bottom and sides.
- Lay parchment paper into the crust and fill with dried beans, rice, or pie weights.
- Bake in the bottom third of the oven for 15 minutes. Remove the pie weights and put back in the oven for 10 more minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Allow cooling on a wire rack before filling.
To make the filling:
- In the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- With the mixer still running, pour the cooled melted chocolate into the butter/sugar mixture. Add the espresso powder (if using), cocoa powder (if using), and vanilla. Scrape down the bowl.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating for five full minutes in between each addition) at a medium-high speed. The full mixing time of five minutes for each egg is necessary to get the silky texture and for the pie to set.
- Pour the filling into the cooled crust and allow to set in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours and up to 2 days before serving.
- Top with whipped cream and chocolate curls or shavings.