With this simple recipe, you will prepare the best Thanksgiving turkey ever! You will need pre-preparation of 12 hours, then around 30 minutes to prepare it plus 4 hours to cook. Delicious and good looking, your family and friends will love the meal. Here is the recipe:
- 1 whole turkey (18 pounds), giblets and neck removed
- ½ cup melted butter
- 2 cups kosher salt
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 3 onions, peeled and chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme, fresh
- 1 ¼ cup dry white wine
- Use the salt to rub the bird inside and out. Apply the turkey to a large stockpot and then cover it with cold water. Refrigerate so the meat can soak in the salt and water mixture for 12 hours (ideally overnight).
- When ready to cook, preheat oven to 350°F /180°C /Gas Mark 4. Thoroughly rinse the bird, and discard the mixture.
- Next, brush the meat with the melted butter and apply breast side down on a roasting rack in a roasting pan. Then, stuff the bird cavity with ½ the carrots, ½ the celery, ½ the onions, the bay leaf, and the spring thyme. Scatter the rest of the vegetables around the bottom of the roasting pan. To finish, cover with the wine.
- Roast the turkey uncovered for 3 ½ – 4 hours in the oven, or until the internal temperature of the thigh reaches 85°C/180 °F.
- Then, around 2/3 through the roasting time, carefully turn the bird breast side up and brush with the remaining butter. Let the bird stand around 30 minutes before carving.