Chocolate lady’s kisses are cute and delicious Italian cookies, originally known as “baci di dama al cioccolato”: 2 cookies sandwiched together with a chocolate cream – just like they are kissing each other. Anyway, perfect with a cup of tea or coffee! Try them!
For the cookies:
- 100 grams (2/3 cup) almonds toasted and skinned
- 80 grams (3/4 cup minus 1 tablespoon) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 4 tablespoons (25 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 100 grams (3.5 ounces) unsalted butter – cut into small cubes and at room temperature
- 85 grams (1/3 cup+1 tablespoon) granulated sugar
For the filling:
- 50 grams (1.8 ounces) bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- Toast the almonds at 160C/320F/Gas Mark 3, for 15 minutes, until they are a golden brown color.
- Remove the almonds from the oven; rub them in a clean towel to remove the loose skins.
- Once completely cool, pulse the almonds in a food processor/blender until they resemble sand.
- Transfer them to a bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, butter, and sugar.
- Mix all the ingredients together until you get a nice, smooth dough.
- Split the dough into 4 pieces; then, roll each piece into a log.
- Chill them on a baking sheet for one hour.
- Cut off pieces (equal-sized) and roll into tiny balls. Work with just 1 log of dough at a time, refrigerating the others so they stay cold.
- Arrange the balls on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper (spaced apart).
- Refrigerate the baking sheet for 1 hour.
- Bake the cookies for 15 minutes at 160 degrees C (320 degrees F), until they are set to the touch and lightly golden.
- Let the cookies cool completely before filling.
To make the filling:
- Add the chocolate in a clean, dry bowl and set over a pan of almost simmering water. Stir until melted and smooth.
- Remove from the heat and allow cooling until thicken. Apply a dollop of chocolate on a cookie and add another one on top.
- When filled, arrange the cookies on a cooling wire rack so the chocolate can firm.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Enjoy! Buon Appetito!
Note: Chocolate Lady’s Kisses can also be made with hazelnuts (instead of almonds).