This apricot ice cream or gelato di abicocche is an old, classic Italian dessert that will bring you to the happy childhood days. So simple and easy to prepare and so delicious! Here is the recipe:
- 500 grams/1 lb. 2 oz. ripe apricots
- 300 ml/10 fl. oz. single cream
- 175 grams/6 oz. caster sugar
- 200 ml/7 fl. oz. milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Halve the apricots and remove and discard the stones. Put the apricots in a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Whip the cream and sugar together in a mixing bowl using a hand-held electric mixer or a hand whisk, until the sugar has dissolved. Whisk in the apricot puree, milk and vanilla extract. Pour into a lidded freezer proof container, then cover and freeze for 1 hour. Remove from the freezer and whisk thoroughly, using a hand-held electric mixer or a hand whisk. Re-cover and freeze for a further hour.
- Repeat the whisking and freezing process until the mixture is almost frozen solid. Whisk a final time, then re-cover and return to the freezer until required.
- Transfer the ice cream to the refrigerator 15 minutes before serving to soften slightly.
Tip: If you have an ice-cream maker, pour the mixture into the machine and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions.